A jury awarded the survivors of a deceased farm worker $3.7 million in a medical malpractice lawsuit. The man died January 1, 2004, after contracting blastomycosis, a fungal infection often transmitted through water or soil. The man had visited a medical center twice in December of 2003 complaining of illness. The man was seen by physician assistants who determined he had pneumonia. The health care center failed to run basic diagnostic tests, including X-rays. He was admitted to a hospital on December 23, 2003 and diagnosed with blastyomycosis, but it was too late to save his life. The jury found that the health system and the doctor who was responsible for overseeing the physician assistant were medically negligent. Unfortunately, the award will be reduced because the state has medical malpractice caps. To read more about the medical error, please click the link.