The Huffington Post reported last week on the tragic death of a young infant as a result of medical malpractice.
The baby was born premature last September 24th, weeks before his due date and weighing only one pound at the Advocate Lutheran General Hospital. The boy had a heart condition at birth and had to be fed through IV tubes. However, even with the medical problems, the prognosis for the young boy remained good-his family expected him to make it home. Unfortunately, that wasn’t to be.
Instead, according to court papers recently filed, officials at the hospital accidentally gave the infant a sodium dose 60 times higher than prescribed. The drug error led to many complications, and the child eventually died as a result of hypernatremia-the medical term for excess sodium in the body.
An Illinois wrongful death lawsuit was recently filed by the parents of the boy. The suit alleges a series of missteps at the facility that allowed the overdose to occur, ending the child’s life. Specifically, the family claims that a pharmacy technician incorrectly filled the boy’s prescription, providing way too much sodium to be administered intravenously. On top of that, the label on the bag was covered up by an inaccurate label-hiding the fact that the amount was much higher than necessary. Finally, doctors ignored blood tests which revealed a high sodium level.
Our Chicago injury lawyers at Levin & Perconti remain saddened that so many families are forced to suffer the death of a loved one after Illinois medical malpractice such as this. It should take only a few stories explaining how frequently these mistakes occur to jolt all reasonable thinkers into advocating for better patient safety measures. Every possible safety protocol should be explored to ensure that future families do not experience this ultimate suffering following the loss of a baby child.
See Our Related Blog Posts: