An Indiana man is filing a medical malpractice suit in response to personal injuries sustained when his face was burned during a flash oxygen fire that broke during what should have been a routine surgery to remove cysts and a mole. Oxygen was sparked during cauterization of the removed cysts, leading to second and third degree burns over the man’s hair, skin, and eyes. Astonishingly, after the man’s face caught fire, the MultiCare Physician Center in Merrilville, Indiana decided not to immediately tell man’s awaiting family what happened. Instead, they told his family to go to lunch.
After he was stabilized, the man was transferred to a Valparaiso eye doctor to have his vision checked. From there, he was sent to Saint Anthony Medical Center in Crown Point. There, doctors determined that the burns to the man’s face were so severe that he needed to be admitted to the University of Chicago Hospital burn unit, where the man spent the next eleven days. There, the man received painful hydrotherapy and skin grafts. Still, the man will need additional surgery for his personal injuries.
Click here for the full article.