The results from this year’s Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) Overall Hospital Quality Star Ratings report have been released and the results are mixed for Chicago. For many hospitals, Medicare and Medicaid are the single largest payers for health care, leaving facilities heavily reliant on receiving reimbursement from the programs in order to stay afloat financially. 57 different factors are analyzed in order to assign a rating to a hospital, including readmission rates within 30 days of a discharge, a number CMS has been pressuring hospitals to drastically reduce in order to avoid financial penalties.
The Best and Worst of Chicago
There are 82 hospitals within a 50 mile radius of Chicago, but only 74 hospitals were included in CMS’ ratings. Pediatric hospitals are not included in CMS’ star ratings. Freestanding pediatric hospitals such as Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital do not participate in the Inpatient and Outpatient Quality Reporting programs run by CMS and therefore are unable to be rated.
In total, twelve Chicago-area hospitals received 5 stars, twenty received 4 stars, eighteen hospitals received 3 stars, eleven received 2 stars and thirteen facilities received just one star, shocking considering only 4 Chicago hospitals had received the low rating just one year prior.
The 3 Chicagoland hospitals that received only one star were:
- University of Illinois Hospital
- Mercy Hospital and Medical Center
- John H Stroger Jr. Hospital
- Mt. Sinai Hospital Medical Center
- Norwegian-American Hospital
- Louis A Weiss Memorial Hospital
- St. Bernard Hospital
- West Suburban Medical Center
- Jackson Park Hospital
- Presence Saint Francis Hospital
- Roseland Community Hospital
- Franciscan Health Olympia & Chicago Heights
- Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center
The 12 hospitals that received 5 stars were:
- Rush University Medical Center
- Evanston Hospital
- Adventist LaGrange Memorial Hospital
- Adventist Hinsdale Hospital
- Palos Community Hospital
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center
- St. Alexius Medical Center
- Silver Cross Hospital and Medical Centers
- Advocate Condell Medical Center
- Copley Memorial Hospital
- Delnor Community Hospital
- Sherman Hospital
The full rankings can be found here.