The legal team at Levin & Perconti has reached a $3.5 million settlement for their client in a medical malpractice case. Their client was seriously and permanently injured while in the care of a Chicago psychiatric hospital. The man was admitted to the hospital because he was suicidal, yet he was allowed to be near hazardous cleaning chemicals that were not secured. The chemicals were used for stripping floors in the psychiatric unit of the hospital. The man suffered severe internal burns after ingesting the chemicals that were left unsecured.
Improper Handling of Hazardous Chemicals
A cleaning service was using chemicals to strip the floor, but left them within reach of patients in the psychiatric ward. OSHA, Occupational Safety & Health Administration, provides guidelines regarding the use of hazardous chemicals. Dangerous chemicals must be properly used and stored. In this instance, the situation was made worse because the chemicals were left in an area where psychiatric patients were located. Many of these patients may have diminished mental capacity or, as in this case, have suicidal ideations. Chemicals of this type could cause severe injuries or death.
The ingestion of cleaning chemicals is dangerous. Cleaners contain substances that are caustic and will cause burns to the body, both externally and internally. In this case, the man ingested the chemicals, possibly in an attempt to commit suicide. This caused severe burns to his skin as well as burns to his esophagus. The man required surgery and now must use a gastrointestinal feeding tube. He is no longer able to enjoy meals, including those with his large Italian extended family.
Chemical burns to the inside of the body are extremely serious and dangerous. The man has already undergone surgeries and will probably need additional surgeries in the future. He cannot eat normally, so he requires continuous medical care, which will be required for the rest of his life. It is also important to note that the injuries he incurred put him at a much higher risk for developing esophageal cancer in the future. The costs of medical treatment, surgery, and ongoing care are quite high. The responsible parties were held accountable and will now provide the victim and his family the compensation they deserve.
The man in this case was permanently injured due to the negligence of others. The cleaning company should not have left the chemicals out where patients could reach them. The care facility is required to provide a safe and secure environment for patients. The caregivers knew that the patient was suicidal, yet did not make sure that dangerous chemicals were kept out of his reach. Both parties are responsible for the injuries that were incurred as a result of the negligence.
Levin & Perconti worked to negotiate a settlement in this case that would be sufficient to cover medical expenses, future treatment, pain and suffering, and other damages. If you or a loved one were victims of medical malpractice or neglect, contact the skilled attorneys at Levin & Perconti to discuss your case today.
See Related Posts: