Published on:

Emergency Room Mistake Caused Toddler to Lose Both Feet and a Hand

A young girl was recently the victim of an egregious emergency room mistake that ultimately caused her to suffer catastrophic physical amputations. Fox News reported on the story after the filing of a medical malpractice lawsuit on behalf of the 2-year old child.

The young girl was taken to the Methodist Hospital near her Sacramento home in November. She was suffering from a severe fever and rash. Upon arriving at the hospital she was forced to wait over five hours in the emergency room. She received no treatment, and her condition deteriorated quickly. Doctors eventually discovered that she had a staph infection as was going into liver failure. After being rushed to two other hospitals, a different group of physicians were forced to amputate both her feet and one hand.

The victim’s mother recounts the horrific decision she was forced to make explaining that doctors told her, “Your daughter is dying and the only that we can do to save her is amputate.”

The girl is now in rehabilitative therapy. She will likely require extensive rehabilitation to help her acquire as much functionality as possible while missing the limbs. Her family has filed a medical malpractice lawsuit seeking to recover the cost of the mistake, including medical bills and rehabilitation therapy.

Our Chicago medical malpractice attorneys at Levin & Perconti continue to be shocked by stories of subpar medical treatment that leads to horrific results for unsuspecting patients. Our community must ensure that basic standards of care are respected by all medical professionals. Emergency room errors that cause amputation of limbs for a young girl simply cannot be acceptable. It is imperative that true emergencies are given priority so that victims and their families are spared suffering.

See Our Related Blog Posts:

Autopsy Mistakes-Little Known Form of Medical Malpractice

Lax Supervision of Medical Residents Put Patients At Risk